Pursuant to the amendments to the Citizenship Law which came into force on 1 October 2015, citizenship of Latvia may be retained for persons who have acquired:
- Citizenship of another EU Member State or another EFTA Member State;
- Citizenship of another NATO Member State;
- Citizenship of Australia, Brazil or New Zealand;
- Citizenship of such a country with which Latvia has concluded an agreement on the recognition of dual citizenship (no such agreement is currently concluded);
- Citizenship of a country not referred to previously if due to important national interests permission from the Cabinet is received to retain dual citizenship;
- Citizenship of a country not referred to previously if it has been acquired automatically (ex lege), through marriage or as a result of adoption.
Children of citizens of Latvia may hold dual citizenship with any country.
More information about Dual Citizemship you can find in the website of the Office of Citizenship and Migration Affairs